Labor Day week and weekend is one of those great times of year: End of summer cookouts. Good ballgames. Pumpkin spice lattes are right around the corner.
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s be safe with our training this week. Labor Day week seems to always present challenges for exercising in the heat and humidity. There are a few tips for you to consider regarding this week:
- Hydrate appropriately. We usually hear people say that they drink when they’re thirsty and that is a pretty good rule of thumb. But, you’ll also be losing a lot of salt with your sweat, so make sure you take in some electrolytes, like Gatorade.
- Dress appropriately including high tech sweat wicking fabrics, sunglasses, visor, etc.
- It’s OK to slow down your bike ride, run, or walk if you have to. Humidity makes it very difficult for sweat to evaporate from your skin, which is one of the primary mechanisms that helps keep your body cool. When it’s humid, and you might not be cooling as you normally would, don’t be bashful about slowing down.
- It’s OK to go inside if you need to. Set up that bike trainer, hop on the elliptical, even pound out a few miles on the dreaded treadmill.
- Time your training appropriately. If you can get out early in the morning, great. If you have to train by yourself this week, please do so in familiar loops so you can return home as soon as possible. This weekend is not the best time to try a new out-and-back course that would have you miles from home and hoping for an Uber car pick up.
- Finally, be smart about your training. Please make good decisions and consult with us if you have any questions
Fit For Life Physical Therapy is proud to be Fleet Feet + FrontRunner’s physical therapy partner. We will keep you moving – no matter what you do.
Contact Fit For Life Physical Therapy at (614) 981-1979 or www.fitforlifephysicaltherapy.com with your injury prevention, maintenance, or rehabilitation needs!
Labor Day Training Tips from Fit For Life Physical Therapy More Info »